San Diego Magazine is looking for a full-time Brand Strategist
Title: Brand Strategist
Reports To: Chief Marketing Officer/Director of Sales and Chief Content Officer
Salary: $50-75k DOE
San Diego Magazine is a house of storytellers who really, really know the city. We give readers the insider information they need to experience the best of San Diego—where to eat, drink, and experience, perspectives on the style, businesses, and people that shape the region. We give our audience access to places in San Diego few people see, bring them insight and facts that bring a story alive, and focus on wit/humor/electric narratives. We’re constantly exploring the city, and work together to form ideas and inspiration. Teamwork and collaboration are at the core of our success. Talent and work ethic are obviously highly important, but just as important is being easy and inspiring to work with. A positive, respectful, supportive environment is everything.
We’re looking for the next Don Draper minus the baggage. A brand strategist and creative with a strong, unique, entertaining storytelling voice. Someone who can analyze a brand’s story, come up with inventive, funny, witty, smart, soulful, emotionally compelling ways of telling it for them. Our ideal candidate: has Seth Godin’s analytic marketing mind, David Sedaris’ humor, and Toni Morrison’s emotional resonance. (Look, we said “ideal”). Because here’s what happens. The storytellers of SDM are funny, smart, compelling writers and media-makers. Our partner brands come to us and say, “help us tell our story LIKE THAT.” And we do. But now we’re growing and need more creative brains at the entertaining (yet effective) brand table ensuring our brand partners are successful.
This person will be able to take any partner or brand… research, analyze their story and the story of the industry, and come up with three creative ideas/storylines/video concepts that will help them grow. Including our own brand. Note: This is not just an “ideas” person. We need someone who can get in there and write copy, sketch out video ideas. We have a team to help, but we’re all doers.
- Develop and execute campaigns for San Diego Magazine advertisers and SDM Studio clients. Develop and manage the client’s positioning, messaging, and visual identity. This could involve developing campaign names, taglines, and themes.
- Work with internal and external teams to ensure that the brand is consistently represented across all channels for their ad buy
- Assist Social Media Manager with execution of paid and internal marketing campaigns. This will occasionally involve assisting with caption writing and translating paid campaigns into visual messaging fit for social media platforms.
- Analyze data and trends to identify opportunities for brand growth
- Develop and execute marketing campaigns that support SDM’s brand strategy
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends and best practices
- Formulate creative concepts and bring them to life. This may involve creative directing photo and video shoots for clients and for SDM marketing initiatives.
- Proactively assist the sales team with pitches and new business development. Work with the sales team to explore past clients and develop creative strategies to win them back
- Be strong in sales, analytics, and creativity
- Act as project manager on large campaigns to ensure they are completed correctly, creatively and on-time. Assist with account management for major campaigns
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or a related field
- 3-5 years of experience in brand management, public relations or advertising
- Proven track record of success in developing and executing brand campaigns in an array of mediums
- Strong understanding of brand positioning, messaging, and visual identity
- Experience with design platforms including Adobe Illustrator, Canva or other
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with proven experience in leading client relationships
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. A solution-oriented attitude is a must.
- Experience with market research and data analysis
- Experience with managing multiple marketing campaigns and social media accounts
- Experience working with well-established brands on an array of projects
- Be organized, professional, and a good note-taker
- Be able to write in different voices (brand copywriting, creatives)
- Be able to multitask and manage projects
- Be a nice and good person