Energy Efficiency for Every Day
From drying your clothes to heating your bathwater, our homes use a lot of energy. Conserving energy during peak demand hours, typically from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m., is essential for minimizing your environmental impact and controlling energy costs. During peak hours, the demand for electricity (and the price of electricity) goes up, but electricity generated from renewable sources, like solar, goes down.
Energy Upgrade California offers a range of practical tips to save energy (and money!) during peak demand hours:
- Lighting Control: Turn off non-essential lighting during peak hours.
- Opt for Off-Peak Washing: Operate major appliances, like washing machines and dishwashers, during off-peak hours.
- Use Less Hot Water: If using a washing machine during peak hours, wash with cold water. Most washers nowadays are designed for cold water washes, and many detergents now have enzymes that can start to work in temperatures as low as 60 degrees.
- Pre-Heat or Pre-Cool: Heat or cool your home before 4 p.m. to maintain comfort without using your heater or A/C during peak hours.
- Thermostat Adjustments: Set your thermostat to a slightly lower temperature if it’s cold out, or a slightly higher temperature if it’s hot out. Even just a few degrees can make a big difference in electricity consumption!
- Timers for Appliances: Install timers on major appliances like dishwashers, washing machines, water heaters, ovens and pool pumps. Schedule them to run during off-peak hours.
For more tips on how you can save, visit our website.
Whether you’re looking to spend less on your energy bills or working to reduce your carbon footprint, a few simple changes in your energy consumption habits can make a huge difference. By implementing these every day energy saving tips, you can save energy and contribute to a more resilient and sustainable energy grid.
Electrify Your Life
And for those who are ready to take the next step, home electrification is something to consider. Electrification refers to the process of replacing polluting gas-fired appliances with modern, electric-powered appliances in your home. Installing an electric heat pump heating and cooling system, energy efficient windows, ceiling insulation or rooftop solar and batteries are investments that can potentially lead to more savings and increase the health and safety of your home. Electrification eliminates the number one source of emissions in homes and reduces exposure to harmful indoor air pollution — and powering your electric appliances with San Diego Community Power’s renewable energy ensures ongoing emission reductions, paving the way towards a cleaner and greener future.
San Diego Community Power offers educational resources on our website that can help you learn about the benefits of electrification. If you’re ready to make the switch to electric, our Electrification Marketplace can connect you with products like electric heat pumps and solar panels, as well as licensed contractors who can help you electrify your home.
Learn more about electrification on our website.